Club History

 

Our club was founded in 1923 by members of the Baptist Tabernacle Church and was originally called the Tabernacle Tennis Club.  They used to play on grass courts in Water Lane.  Back then, committee meetings used to start with a prayer.
For many years, a large proportion of membership was from this church and the last representatives left in the 1970s.


The name Grosvenor originated from Grosvenor Road, which was the home of a former secretary, Mrs Goss (resigned c.1948).

 

The club has played on the courts in Cassiobury Park since 1942.  During the war, Lawrie Wilson who served as club chairman from 1940s to 1972, was the only male member.

 

The present club hut was built in 1956 from funds raised entirely by members.

 

Key Dates

2017

9th September 2017 - Watford Sports Day

29th July 2017 - Finals Day

9th July 2017 - Open Tournament

13h May 2017 - American Tournament

21st March 2017 - AGM meeting

15th April 2017 - Season starts

 

2016

6th August 2016 - Finals Day

16th April 2016 - Season starts

21st March 2016 - AGM meeting

 

2015

17th September 2015 - End of season dinner

5th September 2015 - Season ended

22nd August 2015 - Mr Wilson's Invitational Doubles Tennis Tournament (2nd year)

1st August 2015 - Finals Day

19th July 2015 - Open Tournament

18th April 2015 - Season started

17th April 2015 - Fence erected between Grosvenor courts and public courts

23rd March 2015 - AGM meeting

 

2014

17th September 2014 - End of season dinner

23rd August 2014 - Mr Wilson's Invitation Doubles Tennis Tournament

26th July 2014 - Finals day

21st June 2014 - Open day

31st March 2014 - AGM meeting

 

2013

2nd March 2013 - New website goes live

 

Before 2000

1956 - Club hut built

1942 - Club moved to courts in Cassiobury Park

1923 - Club formed